View Single Post
Old 01-08-2019, 03:39 PM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxhifi View Post
Get Windows 10 and learn to live with it, it was released almost four years ago already... eons in computer time. Win 7 is a legacy system, can't expect it to be supported forever. Sometimes no choice but to go with the flow. I've been on Win 10 for a year and a half already, and it's working just fine.

HDMI to composite adapters are cheap and easy to find on eBay, you can buy a few and decide which one you like best.

Another thing you could do is make like a tech and just change the caps in your dell. If there's anything any of us should be good at by now, it's changing caps

I'd probably do all of the above, to be honest. No reason the Dell couldn't live on as a dedicated media streamer while the new computer does the stuff you need a new computer to do.
You raise some good points. I plan to let the Dell live on as a basement media rig(it ain't good for much else)...till it dies. I've recapped the Dell twice and it's last power supply once (power supplies are more misery to recap than a new unit costs).... changing caps on that motherboard is sort of a last resort. Last time I destroyed a trace and lost back audio out....It is not fun or easy to work on compared to any other PCB I've soldered on.

I do use 10 on my laptop but there's no real features 10 has that 7 doesn't that come close to what a S-VIDEO port is worth to me.... Also 7 while not marketed still has a few years of support left it just don't make sense to me to stop making drivers for it till it is done or months from done.

I'm probably going to get a HDMI converter and install 10... that said 10 doesn't want to install, and keeps asking me for drivers (the bootable USB stick maker program did have a hiccup so I'm going to remake my Install media)..... In the course of combing the motherboard disk for win 10 drivers I found what claim's to be win 7 usb3.0 drivers so I might just try injecting them into the win 7 installer for chit's 'n' giggles before I install Windows 10.... I gotta rewrite the USB stick for 10 anyway so I may as well try 7 first.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4