View Single Post
Old 10-26-2014, 03:06 PM
Not sure how I got here.

Ford came close with the 4.6 v8 I think the one they stuck in the Mustang after the 302.
One version of that engine had OHC, I think it also had 4 Valves per cylinder but I'm
not sure.... I quit following mustangs that close after I got my Preludes..... One thing
limiting power remember was rev limiting because of all the mass of the moving parts..
You just can't move all that metal above 6k rpm without stuff wanting to move away
from center and not come back....

My 351C 1973 was rated at around 160hp if I remember right.... My prelude 1959cc
engine 4V/cyl. DOHC 135 hp so it did almost all the 351 could do at half the size...
That is impressive in my book...... Plus I got more than 2X the life out of it and still
going...... And no rebuild.... Oh, yah.... 2x the gas mileage.......

The 70's cars were fun.... I personally would love a '72 slant 6 dart for fun... And I
really loved my mustang, but today's engineering got them beat easy for daily use...

I'm pretty sure they would not build a 1,000 hp engine for daily use.... The thing would
have to be over 8L in size or it would tear itself up..... The 3.8L Super charged v6 in the
'89 Thunderbirds use to kill the crankshafts cause it put out too much power for what
it was originally designed for.... I think it was '89....

I would however get a kick out of cars today stalling like they did years ago, combined with cell phone texting....

Last edited by Username1; 10-26-2014 at 03:13 PM.