View Single Post
Old 02-26-2017, 07:25 PM
Banned

I've got the real "Real McCoy" when it comes to albums with trucker songs on them, I have an 8-Track Tape of the album "Teddy Bear's Last Ride" from 1976 which was a compilation album of old Trucker Songs done by the group Country Road and the other album which I can't recall its title (and also currently can't find the album either) which was also a compilation album from 1970s on LP of old Trucker songs.

Believe me I know my fair share of trucker lingo as well, in fact I've always called wired telephones "landlines" and I've also known about CB Radios and even the fist-pump in the air when you drive by a semi to get the trucker to honk his horn for you, and other trucker related stuff.

In fact my uncle is a truck driver full time for Estes Transportation Services and I know quite a lot about Trucker related stuff because of that as well.
The only thing I don't like about truckers these days is that they seem to of lost their respectability, because I've have quite a few run-ins with semi drivers since I've started driving about 6 years ago that made me think very poorly of Truck Drivers.

An incident a couple of days ago when I was going to class at my local community college I go to, and the main drag road that goes between Elkhart, Indiana where I live and Warsaw, Indiana (where I have some relatives at) CR 17 has a merge lane that you turn onto from the county road I live off of which is CR 10, anyways I had a truck driver next to me who had me more or less boxed in and I was trying to get up enough speed before the merge lane ended so I could get in front of him and he wasn't letting me in.
So finally the merge lane was just feet from ending and I finally got just enough ahead of him to get out of the merge lane and pulled in in front of him so I was on the main road, and the jerk blares his horn at me like I did something wrong even though I was trying to get onto the road out of the merge lane like I was supposed to and he wasn't letting me in so I had to take the opportunity I had at the moment or else there would of been an accident.

Anyways before I started driving I actually thought Truckers were really cool especially when I hear all of those old Trucker Songs that told stories of the old truckers risking their lives to do something like save a bus load of kids on an old moutain pass road (the song Teddy Bear's Last Ride) or paying for a person's coffee who couldn't afford a cup (The song Little Joe) etc.
But now after all of the issues I've had with some of these "modern" truck drivers since I've started driving I've lost almost all respect for truck drivers (except for my uncle).

Just my 2 cents on the subject.