Thread: New Wheels
View Single Post
Old 02-19-2016, 06:11 PM
Stuck in the past!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
Metal bumpers are only so good...My 1978 Lincoln Mark V has metal bumpers with plastic rub strips on them. I've hit snow concrete and a light post at low speed while parking it on three separate occasions, and that never left a mark (on the car), but the front bumper is mounted on shocks which add a weak point....Someone hit me from the side (at about 40MPH) catching only the front bumper, and that ruined one of the bumper shocks dropping half the bumper, and bent to other shock mount....Not to mention leaving a big dent in that bumper....I expected better from it, but I would still take it any day over the shitty plastic bumper covers on some cars. For instance my friend's last gen Prelude front end got totaled from a minor low speed crash, and our 02' CRV apparently had NO bumper or sturdy structure under the bumper cover (the cargo area apparently is supposed to absorb impact) and the rear end got DEMOLISHED in a crash that did not deploy the air bags....Still sort of drive able, but way too much metal was bent.

No one wants to get into a crash, but there are too many bad drivers on the road for ones number to not come up eventually, and anything fast like the Charger/Challenger if driven fast like the design begs is at that much more risk.
I have a 79 Mark V. I prefer metal to heap junk they have now. Seen way too many problems around here with drivers. I was put in a cement wall at 60 with my 76 Mark IV by an idiot that felt he needed to be first coming off a highway and all I had was minor bumper scuffing. Moderator at the lincoln forum laughed and said was just a bruise. I say that Damn car saved our ass that day. And there were three of us in there. I have a 2000 dodge full size van that another idiot pulled out in front of and I was only doing 40. Had to replace bumper, lights, and fender.
Audiokarma