Thread: Cooool!!
View Single Post
Old 10-28-2012, 02:21 AM
Administrator

Those little 5" Chinese Jellybean sets produce an amazingly clear and sharp picture, certainly better than most Tube sets of the 40's, and adjusted for inflation they were practically free even when new, Technology marches on.

Longevity and repair-ability are nothing to write home about but they were never intended to be repaired at the price point they were sold for, they are what they are and I'm glad I'm not the only Nut who finds them collectible, if for no other reason than their bright shiny colors.

Don't get me wrong, I think it's great that a 12 year old has an interest in vintage Tech but you really shouldn't close your mind to new ideas.

Can you honestly say that 1950's B&W Philco has a better picture than a modern 1080p HDTV just because it's tube powered?

Maybe the newer sets won't last 50 years or be repairable even in ten but they cost a fraction (relatively speaking) of what a 21" B&W Table model would have cost in 1955.

I was probably just as thrilled when I got my first HDTV back in 2005 as the guy who bought a new CT-100 was back in 1954. And I probably have had fewer problems with them (none so far) to boot.