View Single Post
Old 09-03-2014, 06:25 AM
VideoKarma Member

in the real world...

Having seen PAL and NTSC in their real world forms OTA and on analogue cable...let's not over state the problems of either.

Far greater difference in quality with the two systems lies in the 525/60 625/50 standards.

From a viewer perspective .. 625 line (ie 576i) makes for a noticeably sharper image.

But I have to say my experience is that the colour via PAL is better (somehow red never looked right in NTSC) .... but the much feared phase error never occurred when viewing late NTSC OTA (80s+).. not sure if it was an issue in 50s and 60s.

Feeding my late model Sony Trinitron NTSC from tape or DVD vs same program from PAL sources subtle differences in colour and black level are noticeable... along with 24 to 30 frame motion issues on the NTSC versions.

I am not talking technically here but purely subjectively.. how it looks to me...clearly different TV sets and broadcasting quality would play a big part.

PAL sets do not have a phase control - Hue/Tint for a reason ... you simply do not see phase error even when present.

BUT none of this is fair.. what would 625 line NTSC look like or 525 line PAL? (Or for that matter SECAM)

What does 405 line NTSC /PAL look like? Anyone ever seen that? The BBC seems to have not wanted to migrate to 405 line colour using NTSC because it was too good and might have reduced the demand for the 625 line service.

Did you guys in the NTSC world with tube sets suffer phase errors when you still had analog broadcasts? Real world test ... not lab stuff.
Audiokarma