View Single Post
Old 09-05-2014, 11:28 AM
VideoKarma Member

If you want to see 525/60 PAL for yourself check the options menu in your DVD player. Some have an option to output 525/60 PAL when playing back NTSC encoded DVDs. This mode is compatible with most PAL only TVs while avoiding some of artifacting caused when then player converts an NTSC encoded disc to 625/50 PAL.

525/60 PAL is also output by most modified PAL Playstations and earlier consoles when playing NTSC games. I found I noticed the differences between PAL and NTSC far more when gaming. The artifacting, color bleed and dot crawl all seemed far worse in NTSC than PAL (same console, same TV, just switching between PAL and NTSC modes). I'm not suggesting that PAL is completely immune to any of these defects, just that they aren't as severe. Ultimately for gaming go with direct RGB wherever possible.

I've had several 100Hz line doubled TVs. Some are better than others. Generally it's a softer smoother image, but the line doubler itself causes artifacts that are painfully obvious. Perhaps only painfully obvious when sitting too close and gaming, but at the time it was enough to downgrade from a 34" 100Hz set to a 29" 50Hz set.