View Single Post
Old 01-17-2018, 03:43 PM
Danny in Cleveland

TV Antenna Station Scanning 101

Hi All,

Just wondering about scanning today's TVs for receiving air broadcast signals. I have one of those Walmart, RCA square, flat, wall-mount antennas (used, hand-me-down, no manual). Do/can/supposed to...?, these antennas operate in one permanent spot (mounted on the wall)? I currently need to move the antenna around to receive certain stations. I have 3 wall mounting hooks inside the cabinet the TV resides in. One for facing South, West & North (viewing facing East). I'm on Lake Erie so I can't get too much from the North. On very unusual, rare days I can get London Ontario. (Wonder if having a proper antenna I could get it all the time?)....dream-on. My two questions: Should the finished surface of that square antenna be facing the proper direction when on a wall? Would you do a separate scan for each direction and see which comes up with the most stations? Seems the signal strengths vary from the stations. Almost a month will go by then suddenly one has to mess around with the antenna placement.
Anyone's 2 cents or helpful links on the subject appreciated.

Old man trying to catch-up

Last edited by Dan Schafer; 01-17-2018 at 03:54 PM.