View Single Post
Old 09-16-2014, 01:25 PM
VideoKarma Member

coming soon. I was at the yard Sunday got about 1/2 done with removing trim then it was closing time. I plan to go back weekend and finish. My MO is to experiment with pulling parts at the yard to get experience (what breaks easy, any hidden problems etc..) and then also to have a backup (in this case a 13$ investment in a head liner). Then I can try it out on the yard part and see if I can get a decent result, if so it goes in and the old one comes out and goes into storage (space permitting). I like to keep the car in running condition just in case I really foul up the process.

Now fords have an interesting problem on headliners. They are made from a kind of pressed fiberglass, like the kind used in making duct work, not the hard resin impregnated like used in boat hulls.

Removing the orig foam backed material seems problematic, if you just try to peel off the foam it tears up the glass not sure how deep (the glass is about 3/8 thick but comes apart in layers).

Some suggestions I have read about:

remove foam with wire brush careful not to dig into glass

use acetone to "melt" foam into glass using a brush to smash the liquified foam into the glass forming a hard shell (as the acetone evaporates leaving the now flattened out foam.

I orig was thinking of plan A followed up with some glass resin brushed on. but the melted foam sounds interesting as well.

I understand the "normal" headliner material is just cardboard, but the FG must have been one of fords "better ideas".