View Single Post
Old 09-05-2018, 07:06 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davet753 View Post
That's probably the "truest" statement on mid-to-late 1970's Zenith consoles ever said. I love me some Zenith, but the fake wood is a turn-off. I know everybody got into that for a few years, but for some reason, Zenith seemed to have more than their fair share of plastic faux wood. Thankfully, Zenith returned to a higher % of decent wood in the 1980's that helped out tremendously. When I sold Zenith during the 1990's, their console line was far bigger than the competition, and generally higher quality cabinetry.

That being said, I'd still love to have the set this thread is about. It looks like a real keeper.
Thanks for the feedback! I like having confirmation that I have my head screwed on straight... well, straight enough to get by.

I had the '73 console I just couldn't be bothered fixing up because the cabinet was an eyesore. I'm guessing that's a big part of why the Avanté was and still is so popular. I had an '88 console as well with the 9-516; even with photofinished particle board it looked a lot nicer. Sure the chassis wasn't as good but it was a lot better than what I've seen in other sets of the era. Perhaps Zenith's prolonged use of the good ol' 25V CRT left more resources available for things that really mattered.

The plastic console-style cabinetry, as undesirable as it is, works okay for this mini-console and similar units. The designs of those I have seen photos of aren't nearly as garish as those of most of the bigger ones.