View Single Post
Old 03-01-2019, 03:56 PM
Motorola Minion

Crosley 517A - "fiver'

Hi fellow tube polishers, I got a model here that was 100 percent original except for one tube, the 6U7 which was a Sylvania with the green leaf logo. I'm fixing this for a friend who got it 10 years ago and set it out on display, never plugging it in. Its easier to link than post a pic but Ill do both.
https://radioatticarchives.com/radio.htm?radio=393
Crosley_517A_Haworth.jpg
Its not hard to see why Crosley made a very collectible radio, a 1937 BC/SW2 set with 6A8-6U7-6Q7-6K6-5Y3, same as a GE and a Zenith I have of the same year. This set is compact with a 4" field coil speaker and 4-wire speaker plug. The only tube failing a test was the 6Q7, an original Ken-Rad/Crosley-branded ST tube I only have a metal tube replacement for.

The wax caps all seem to be rated .02 except for two .01 and just two electrolytics. I already changed the cord, added a fuse and two Y2 caps from either side of AC to chassis ground.

It would be interesting to hear of anyone's experience as I give this a power up and try to align it. The instructions in Riders are quite interesting to align SW especially since there is a image frequency at 910 Kc from fundamental.