View Single Post
Old 12-26-2022, 01:37 PM
<----Zenith C845

Quote:
Originally Posted by kf4rca View Post
At what temperature does the LCD panel freeze and destroys the crystals?
Picked up a Vizio RSF (roadside find) the other day but it had sat outside the night before at 10 degree (F) weather before I rescued it. It doesn't power up so I will have to fix that first. I don't see many Vizio's around here. Either they're not that popular or they don't break down. Thanks.
I don't know too much about LCD displays, but if the one you found had been sitting in 10 degree weather for any length of time, that's not good. I would let it warm up to room temperature before applying power to it. Unless the panel was actually destroyed due to the 10-degree temperature it was in, it should work. I don't know what effect, if any, below-freezing temperatures can have on LCD displays but, as I said, such temperatures cannot be good for them.

Don't kid yourself that LCD displays "don't break down"; they can and they will, especially, as with yours, when subjected to sub-freezing temperatures for any length of time. I don't think yours was permanently damaged; only a test after the panel warms up will tell. If your display doesn't power up, the problem may be as simple as a blown fuse or a severed connection. If the latter, your display could be permanently damaged, as there is no easy way to repair such problems, if they can be repaired at all. Because yours had been sitting outside the previous night in 10-degree weather, there could be any number of things wrong with it now. That's all I can tell you for now because, as I said, I don't know much about LCD displays. This is very often why LCD televisions wind up in the trash; the other leading cause of problems which permanently destroy them is when they are dropped or something is thrown at them. Once the panel cracks, the display is ruined forever.

Good luck.

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.