View Single Post
Old 01-15-2023, 08:43 PM
<----Zenith C845

Quote:
Originally Posted by kf4rca View Post
Re-seated all the cables.
It's always good when a problem, such as intermittent or no video, in an HDTV can be corrected simply by reseating the cables. I'm very glad you got your TV working well again. Loss of signal is about the worst thing which can happen to an HDTV if a connector comes loose; there is no way, that I am aware of anyway, loose video cables can damage an HDTV screen.

Computer I/O (input and/or output) cables, however, are not nearly as forgiving. Disconnecting or connecting one with the rest of the system powered on can and will cause serious and irreparable damage. I speak from experience, having years ago damaged the disk drive I/O port of my Commodore 64 computer by unplugging a cable (a disk drive I/O cable) while the computer was powered on.

BTW, I no longer have my C64, the hard disk drive or monitor (the monitor was a Zenith 12" TV connected to the computer by a 2-position switch box), having upgraded to newer hardware years ago; however, the experience with damaging the disk drive (which, needless to say, was not cheap to repair) taught me a lesson I will never forget. To this day, I make absolutely certain everything is powered off before I do anything with the cables connected to my computer. Better to be safe than sorry, as there are are no second chances if you make a mistake with computer wiring. One slip is all it takes to cause very serious, not to mention expensive, damage to the system.

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.

Last edited by Jeffhs; 01-22-2023 at 07:02 PM.