Thread: modernizing?
View Single Post
Old 06-16-2010, 04:15 PM
VideoKarma Member

hmmm...thanks for the suggestions Reece,i will investigate!

i did suspect that maybe the relocation of the PS caps might be an issue,leads to the original can cap that were laid more or less flat to the inside top of the chassis had to be rerouted somewhat as necessary...i'm not real happy with where the caps ended up,but the chassis is quite cramped in that area..the idea has occurred to me that i might just be picking up internal line noise...

*edit*..perhaps i should say as well,tho this noise I'm getting is surely power line related,its a definite buzz,not really a power supply hum...with the volume at zero the set is dead quiet,with a station tuned in, it's audible below the audio..but just a light "bzzzzz" you hear mostly in quiet passages or below voice...if it were just slightly less audible i might even be able to overlook and live with it...off station it increases with volume to a point,and then seems to vanish at a point just before the inherent hiss and noise of the circuity becomes audible..if one could play it in that max volume range,the buzz would probably be gone entirely....?

and yes both the 12at7 and the 19t8[listed as 1st audio] have shields,the parts list does list a "tube base shield" but i don't know if these are what they are referring too?BUT i figured somebody must have put them there for a reason and i have left them on,but they look almost homemade to me.i'm not sure if they're original or some former owner's replacement or "tweak"

Last edited by Rodzilla; 06-16-2010 at 08:30 PM.