Thread: CTC5 Pickup!
View Single Post
Old 03-19-2024, 04:04 PM
VideoKarma Member

I love finding former wierd repairs... I was investigating why I need more focus range so obviously I check resistors after the 1v2. The bleeder resistors were all high, they should all be 10meg. One was 16 meg, one 14 and the other actually close at 11 meg. Not an issue there as I did buy some 10meg two watts. Being NOS resistors most tested high so I found the ones closest to 11megs each. None were bang on 10, not even close. I'll get those in after I finish this post..

The former technician repair job that surprised me was the bit of wire jumping over the two 1 meg load resistors R155 and R156. I removed the jumper and tested the resistors and they are spot on 1 meg. The other bodge I found was a ceramic cap from the 1v2 cathode to ground. A bit of filtering perhaps? It looked crunchy and they ripped part of the cap where the wire leading into the cap goes. I tossed it. No value printed I could find.

Is this another CTC-7 mod they were applying or was this them being lazy because they didn't have 10 meg bleeder resistors in stock?

I'll have to wait a couple days to get the chassis back in to evaluate these issues with the focus and to see if my R172 replacement gets my color to return. I'm waiting on some .01 ceramic caps to replace the ones going to V22 as they looked bubbly and hot. I want to reduce my chances of burning out my replacement 6.8k R172 replacement.

--
Matt Davala

Last edited by Davala; 03-19-2024 at 04:09 PM. Reason: Forgot about a cap I found