View Single Post
Old 11-08-2022, 06:27 PM
VideoKarma Member

Today, after all this time, I dove into this set. When I turned it on, it started it's slow warm-up of the picture. After a couple of minutes, the 315V boost capacitor literally exploded and that caught me off-guard. I replaced the capacitor, touched up some questionable connections on the 181 board, examined the CRT socket and CRT pins, and re-soldered some questionable connections on the CRT socket board. It still takes a bit to warm up, but it seems like the more I ran it, the quicker it was warming up. I know the jug is a bit tired and it's probably not worth replacing the jug, even if I could find one.

Anyway, I put it back together, was letting it run, and then it shut off after a few minutes, with nothing but the LED channel indicator remaining lit (because it gets it's juice from the stand-by power supply). When I turned the set off, there was a weird "squak" sound that came from the HV board. When I turned it back on, I heard the same sound, followed by audio from the speaker for a couple of seconds, and then nothing else. Sometimes when I turn it on, I get nothing. Other times, it tries to start and then shuts off.

I don't have the Photofact and the model tag is faded, but I'll go back in it one day and do some poking around. If it's something that's going to require much time or money, I'll probably scrap it. If the jug was in a bit better shape, I might be willing to go further on it.
Audiokarma