View Single Post
Old 06-24-2006, 06:40 PM

Can't argue that the AMD fab in NY will add new jobs. It is a green-field project. Something totally new. That's great to read.

Ultra clean gases. Near and dear to my heart. I was project manager for the UHP piping install throughout AMD fabs 10, 14 & 15 in Austin (great city - I miss living there). UHP piping and gases, etc., was brandy-new back in the late '80's. Passe today. Do those fabs even exist today? But, if there is one thing that the industrial gas companies hate more than adding capacity, it is adding personel. Might be a few added technician jobs if they (APCI, BOC, Matheson, etc.) get an on-site operations contract, but not many.

Austin....AMD, Motorola (or what was Motorola MOS 11), Cypress, Samsung, Austin Semi (milspec stuff, mostly), does IBM still exist on the north side of town? Who else is running lines in Austin?

Don't think that the folks operating the Samsung fab will all be American. At the management and engineering level I'll guess it will be about 50/50. The worker-bees will be Americans. And the tool-set might be 50/50. But, better than nothing.

Few U.S. companies invest in their manufacturing operations (with some noted hi-tech companies like Intel, IBM, etc., who do). Ala Zenith, where this thread started. Too busy paying their worthless senior executives multi-tens of millions of dollars to run the company into the ground.

Not unusual that we would be shipping chips to Japan. Is even more expensive to make products there than it is in the U.S. Like us, they only make the highest of their high-tech/high-value-added products at home. If we make chips less expensively than they do for certain products then that is what they will use. Pretty sad. Yamaha doesn't even make a digital player today. Simply buy and rebadge those from folks like Samsung. Oh, the horror.