View Single Post
Old 06-24-2006, 11:12 PM
VideoKarma Member

There are three companies that I am aware of running IC fabrication in Austin-Freescale(spun off from Motorola), Spansion(spun off from AMD) and Samsung. IBM is still here. Also here is Intel-design center only. Many other newer small companies are also here. Of course, Dell is still still here, but has stopped growing in Austin. I am not sure what Austin Semi and Cypress are doing these days.

As far as the ratio of workers at the Samsung plant, I cannot imagine it being 50/50. I am sure the plant employs as many as the AMD plant will. That would mean bringing 600 Koreans over. It seems that it would be cheaper then to just keep it in Korea. I think it is more like 90/10.

In addition, Toyota is building a large pickup factory in San Antonio. They want to try to take Ford and GMs market for large pickups. Of course the workers they hire will only replace GM/Ford workers who are losing their jobs with cheaper non-union workers that have no retirement benefits.

As far as the problem with over-paid executives running companys in the ground, that is industry wide, not just in electronics.