View Single Post
Old 06-18-2017, 08:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by decojoe67 View Post
After many years in the hobby I've seen a tremendous number of these 4-tube cathedrals produced with identical chassis' and very similiar cabinets. They usually have no labels or tags other than the name on the dial bezel. It would be interesting to know what companies assembled these sets and added all the unique names to them. One thing for sure, they do play very well with a strong signal and long antenna. Good luck with yours!
Thanks, what's interesting about mine is that mine does say who made mine on a paper label inside the cabinet along with the tube location chart, but the U. S. Gloritone designation on mine was apparently the name that U.S Television and Radio Company used for their Radio Division since they made both TVs (experimental) and Radios. My radio is actually a 5 tube radio and not 4 like yours is, and mine is a cold chassis radio (it has a power transformer in it and a rather beefy one at that) and isn't a hot chassis unit like some of them were (curtain-burners).
My unit thankfully was already electronically restored already but the person who did the restoration work on the electronics must of been somewhat of an amateur who was still learning seeing as he was stupid enough to put his hand through the speaker by mishandling the radio (he grabbed the radio with one hand by the top of the radio and the radio slipped in his hand and when he went to regrab it his hand ended up in the speaker).

But either way at least the repair was fairly simple and the damage wasn't any worse than it was. Mine is AM Only with a frequency spread of 550-1650kC and I was able to pick up a lot of stations on it with just a 3 foot length of speaker wire that had been made into an antenna by the prevoius owner.

Also do you have a picture of the guts of your radio? Just curious because after looking over the front bezel/knob arrangement and even the tuning dial on yours its exactly like mine except different name on the bezel and the bezel on yours isn't as ornate as mine is, other than that its is an exact copy of what mine looks like. Are you sure yours doesn't actually have 5 tubes in it? Because on mine they had 3 tubes hiding under a rather large shield cover and then the output tube and the rectifier tube are sitting on the chassis above where the power cord goes into the radio out in the open, if your radio's chassis is indeed an exact match to mine (like I think it is based upon the appearance of the dial/bezel and knob layout) it would actually be a 5 tube cold chassis set.

Last edited by ZenithDude88; 06-18-2017 at 08:13 PM.