View Single Post
Old 03-12-2019, 09:05 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
I wonder if there is merit in switching to the green on my suburban? Its got the red coolant in it, I haven't changed the coolant in the 1.5 years I've had it, and lately it's been reading low coolant when parked nose downhill...Recovery bottle stays in the neighborhood of full cold (but does fluctuate), temps have been normal too...
That is the kind of problem that makes me mad at Gm for not designing a proper radiator cap to check what is in the actual radiator.
I remember that "low coolant" issue now that you mention it. Used to see a lot of those in the shop. Bad sensor, as I recall, though I seem to remember even that didn't always fix it. Pretty sure it's in the reservoir and it was the Dex Cool that would do it in. When I was a service writer I read many articles on these problems but I've managed to forget most of the details I do know that there are so many different coolant variations today that it's difficult to have complete confidence in your choice. If I were doing a 100% flush/fill, I think I'd put something else in there, either yellow or green.