View Single Post
Old 03-30-2010, 08:00 PM
VideoKarma Member

I did some work on the b/w set. The set worked fine except for the remote receiver unit, so on the tv chassis I just recapped the bumblebees, and kept the original electrolytic cans for now.

On the remote chassis, the selenium rectifier was open, and that 2 section 40mfd electrolytic was bad. I put a diode in, replaced all the electrolytics and the remote worked ... for just a few minutes ... Then the channel changer still worked, but the vol control didn't. First I swapped the 2 transistors that operated the channel changer and the volume control (X5 and X6), but the channel control still worked and the vol still didn't. Then I went and adjusted the alignment, which I was able to improve a little, but even though the unit appeared to be working and the alignment was good, it still wouldn't operate the volume switch.

The problem turned out to be mechanical, there is a crack in that plastic gear in which the spring which turns it forward gets stuck, and then doesn't allow the disc to turn (see 2nd pic). These plastic gears seem to be the one weak point in these Zeniths. The repairs I did to the plastic gears on the tuner motor on my Zenith color set with the SC400 are still holding, so I think this one should be ok too.

The only other problems with the set are the rubber belt for the fine tuning was broken, which I already replaced, and the channel indicator light is burned out.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sc300.jpg (144.1 KB, 115 views)
File Type: jpg sc300b.jpg (80.8 KB, 112 views)
File Type: jpg 63zenith.jpg (79.4 KB, 110 views)

Last edited by Adam; 03-30-2010 at 10:24 PM.
Audiokarma