View Single Post
Old 11-14-2014, 11:37 AM
BigDavesTV

Hi All! As promised, an update on my progress with this little Sears (Sanyo) 15" Color Portable, 1971-'72. First, I had called it a Hybrid, that's a bit misleading, it has a few transistors, but is mostly tubes, oops!
To get the set up and running again, I found there was one shorted PS Diode, and two very nearly shorted Input Filter Capacitors. I replaced the shorted diode, along with it's counterpart, and the two capacitors, and found I also had a "shot" Circuit Breaker. Replaced the breaker with a proper fuse, that got the set working for about 1 minute, at 117 VAC, then a large resistor in the B+ line to the audio output plate (6AQ5A), began overheating, power down, and discovered a shorted 5uF / 350V cap across that line, replaced the cap, checked resistor, and then the set worked! I had to do some restoration on the CRT (490BNB22A), with my Sencore CR70, as there was good red emission, but nearly none on Green and Blue Guns! The attached pictures show what I wound up with, not a bad picture, for what the set is. Of course, it's a low-focus voltage CRT, and moving the focus lead to the suggested "taps" makes hardly any difference, so I left it on the "tap" that was best. Enjoy the pictures, this was a fun one! I also cleaned and polished the white plastic cabinet, it looks much better than the first as-found pic's. I posted about two months ago.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sears_4061_Repaired_Screen_1.1.jpg (32.8 KB, 74 views)
File Type: jpg Sears_4061_Repaired_Screen_3.3.jpg (36.6 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg Sears_4061_Repaired_Screen_4.4.jpg (41.8 KB, 74 views)
File Type: jpg Sears_4061_Repaired_top View Clean_1.jpg (55.0 KB, 76 views)