View Single Post
Old 04-24-2018, 06:59 PM
VideoKarma Member

Pictures of my two 13" Zenith's coming soon. One of them is purple and appears to have been made overseas. I am guessing this is indicative of the set being made after Zenith's glory days. I would say both sets are mid to late 70's.

Before I get to the 13" sets, as I have been continuing my education here and around the 'net I have begun to second guess my work on the 19".

Questions 1 & 2

1) Since rebuilding the cans turned out to be too laborious and annoying (and I don't give a damn what it looks like inside) I simply clipped the wires and soldered the new electrolytics in below. Now here is the thing. For the negative grounding - I simply soldered that lead to wherever was an available metal space on the chassis. Given that this is a (I think) a hot chassis design - is that OK? As far as shorting out or any other dangers? I think I have heard members here refer to my set as transformer less/ hot chassis and I have been reading some horror stories so I thought I'd better ask.

2) The insulation on the filter choke is iffy. It is cracking and splitting apart. Can I just join it back up with electrical tape or leave it alone?

OK, thanks again for helping a real NOVICE