View Single Post
Old 05-24-2014, 01:14 PM
David Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
I think the Motorola Quasars deserve an honorable mention. When I was growing up my folks had one of Moto's last ones (~1976) that kept chugging along into the early 90's. IIRC the story of it's death and a vid of a similar set (mine might have been a hybrid) is in the what I want link in my sig. It was a good set, and it may have ran a few more years if I wasn't so curious as a kid... It was about as good as my hybrid Zenith CC set is now performance wise.
I remember the tech I went to work for when I was in high school had a Motorola/Quasar "Works in the Drawer" console at his house that had very little service on it since he bought it. When he retired in 1991, he was still watching that same TV.

THe odd thing is, he never turned it off. It stayed turned on day and night for years, and just kept on chugging along. It finally quit in the early 2000's, and he had to replace it. When it stopped working one day, he just drug it out to the street for the trash man and bought a new one. He told me he never even took the back off it to try and fix it.

I suppose he figured he got his money's worth out of it.