View Single Post
Old 09-13-2017, 02:44 PM
M is for Memory

To discharge the CRT take a screwdriver with a well insulated handle connect it's metal shaft to the TV chassis with a clip lead and slip the blade of the driver under the HV connector on the top of the CRT bell until a spark is heard or you know your hitting the metal connector.
The best way is to use an HV probe instead of the screwdriver/jumper method, but I'd guess you don't have one (that is another important tool for TV work). Second best is to put a high value (meg ohm and up) resistor in series with the clip lead.
If you don't have a resistor (the HV probe has one inside) in series with the ground the stored HV will tend to bounce back within 30 sec to 1 min of discharge.

Failure to discharge the HV stored in the CRT may result in one heck of a nasty static jolt.

Alcohol is best for HV cages/hardware. If you want to use the cleaner on the socket electrical contacts it should not hurt there.

The guy you got the set from is probably Doug Harland DRH4683 is his handle here and on you tube. Nice person I've bought stuff from him too.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Audiokarma