View Single Post
Old 06-14-2007, 01:48 PM
VideoKarma Member

Zenith roundie story

Hi Guys,

Two years ago there was a mid 60's Zenith color roundie on ebay being sold in California. The seller did not know of its working condition.

I wasn't a AK member at that point, but I did read a post from you guys discussing this TV. I should have registerd and posted, but didn't. Well call me silly but I spent around 400 for freight to get it up here to Hillsboro Oregon. You guys were saying whoever was bidding on it probley has no idea what he's doing. Or something to that effect. I took a big gamble.

I have always wanted a roundie, and even though its a late model 1966 it still had a hand wired chassis. I knew the CRT and flyback worked before it was shipped, the owner taking photo's. Screen was all fuzz.

Got it home and took the back off the TV. VHF leads had fallen off the terminal. Attached them. Bingo. Beautiful picture!!!

Man did I luck out! The TV had sat unused in storage for 30 years, and the CRT was replaced the the previous owners uncle. Really low hours. CRT bias control is full counter-clockwise, and red screen control is maybe 1/4 of a turn before I got a red line.

Its been a daily viewer for two years now, and only had to replace the damper, HV rect, and regulator. I just put a picture of it on my Avartar. I have no other way to post pictures of it because pic size is over 800KB.

I'll see if I can look back in the old postings to find the discussion.

-
Davala