View Single Post
Old 06-06-2014, 07:22 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr_tech View Post
Are all resistance and capacitance ranges way off, or just a few? Do you have a can of Deoxit D-5 (or similar cleaner) to clean the contacts? IMHO, the stuff works wonders.
jr
Seems like all the capacitance ranges that I have tried are off, but that is limited to larger value electrolytics and then some non polarized units like say .1, .047 uf.ect. I haven't really tried any uuf. or anything like that. I also haven't tried resistance functions as it's not something that I would use much if at all.

About cleaning contacts; I have some contact cleaner, but I doubt that it would have taken off the crud that was on that rotary switch, so I did the bulk of it by hand and then sprayed them off. Also, I cleaned the tube pins and sockets.

At least the leakage function seems to work, which is the most important part and the reason I wanted the unit since modern equipment doesn't use real world voltages to check caps and that is of utmost importance.