View Single Post
Old 05-04-2016, 07:41 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_tv_nut View Post
This is likely a problem with the particular version of Zenith chassis - a countdown IC for V and H drive that doesn't recognize that the game signal is non-standard and doesn't switch to independent H and V. Manufacturers invented countdown sync circuits that were absolutely noise immune on a standard signal and could sync when the signal was so weak that your eye couldn't recognize it - then they got socked with games and VCRs with non-standard sync and had to degrade the circuits to follow the VCR head switch timing and non-standard game sweep frequencies. So, from time to time there were short periods when new sources came out and the TV makers had to scramble to cope with what the game hardware designers did.

I'll try an RF modulator, but it will have to wait until I get my PS2 back. I loaned it out (with the durn component jacks) and all I have is the RF switch (given the design of the PS1's RF switch, it appears to be a modulator.) strangely, this tv worked with my Atari and my NES toploader which put out much weaker signals, btw.

Sony used to mod the PSX consoles back in the day for customers to play on their zenith sets. I can't find one of the daughter boards they used to use anywhere to fix this, though.

1997 RCA Colortrak 27" Console
1987 Zenith 19" V3912W