View Single Post
Old 01-04-2014, 10:33 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsjonsey View Post
Just judging by that tube lineup and the fact that it's Olson branded probably means that both the amp and tuner are of Japanese origin. Olson re-branded a lot of stuff made by Pioneer and Trio-Kenwood in the 60's. Could you post a photo of the units, and possibly one underneath the chassis?

If the units are Japanese than ALL of the capacitors will need to be replaced. Japanese manufacturers used gray tubular ELNA or Suzuki oil filled capacitors that seem to have about a 100% failure rate with age. The either go leaky or dead short. I've never had a japanese made tube Hi-Fi component that worked on it's original nonpolar oil caps. The electrolytic filter cans are sometimes a different story. I've had a couple of Pioneer tube receivers and a couple of Olson re-branded Trio-Kenwood FM tuners. Both needed a full recap but worked perfectly after I took care of that.
Its definitely a Japanese unit, I found a few date codes of 1959-7 on some larger caps.

I have already replaced all the "paper in oil" caps, the electrolytics and awaiting a shipment for the remaining few non tubular caps and the parts for the RA524 receiver. The amp was working pretty well after the partial recap but it lost a channel somewhere before the power amp section (power amp works fine on both channels) which I am now trying to track down - hopefully its one of them I haven't replaced yet. Thanks for the info.
Audiokarma