View Single Post
Old 10-04-2019, 11:34 PM
VideoKarma Member

Magnavox 1P3401 chairside

Got this mini aircraft carrier yesterday from back home. Little brother drove it to me on his way to the Carlisle car show. A 1967 vintage Magnavox chairside AM/FM/phono. It is in mint condition in all its solid wood pecan glory. Grandma got it when she retired from the local bank. Mom got it for the next 50 years and now mine. Mom is 91 and did not want it and barely used it. I'll bet it never played vinyl while she had it.

I fired it and it is like new. No hum. FM is sensitive but a bit much bass. AM is not so sensitive. Big loud. Under the hood to come. The phono spins at all four speeds but the needle vanished and is on order. Scraping on the cartridge gives the usual scraping noise. Collaro changer I think.

Apparently there was a companion chairside speaker for true stereo at the other end of the sofa. Not sure if it was just a speaker or part of the stereo multiplex. APB...on the lookout for the companion speaker.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1P3401.jpg (45.5 KB, 53 views)