View Single Post
Old 03-14-2017, 05:25 PM
VideoKarma Member

Simply put: They work, and rarely fail. When they do, pennies bring them back to life in most cases.

I'd stack any solid state set made in the early 70s up through the mid 80s next to this "buy a new one every 3 years" BS on the market today.

I have a 17" 1980 Sony in my spare bedroom, a 1981 Sony 15" in my kitchen, and a 1985 Sony 19" in the main bedroom. All pulled from the trash. One or two electrolytics replaced in each to restore them to perfect operating condition. CRTs all look as new. All 3 on digital converters and outdoor antenna. The 1985 Sony has AV inputs, so it's been brought into the 21st century with a Roku box.

We have the second to last Sony HD, 16X9, 34" CRT set in the LR (KD34XS960- 2006). Has internal digital tuner. It's on the outdoor antenna too, but it's also tethered to Fios basic service. Trash picked with the matching stand, remote, and instructions. Replaced two ICs in the power supply 5 years ago when I got it ($11), and it's worked since. Yeah, it's a heavy beast, but it fits nicely in the corner we have it in.

My mother (and almost everyone I know that has one) has replaced her flat panel every three years after failures.

Need I say any more?

Last edited by TV Engineer; 03-14-2017 at 05:29 PM.