View Single Post
Old 10-27-2018, 05:42 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseljeep View Post
The Woods model I have is only about 6 or 7 years old!
The freezer you have is possibly a private label model from one of the Canadian retailers.
It would be cool to find out. I don't think there were many Canadian retailers that sold large appliances.

Plugging in your freezer's model and serial numbers on appliance411.ca might return a manufacture date. That site dated mine as a '90.
Quote:
Originally Posted by walterbeers View Post
We still use our old electric Tappan range, oven, microwave free standing all in one stove.
We bought it new in 1979, and we are still using it in our kitchen still today in 2018. Everything still works and operates perfect, even the microwave. Only repairs I have even done to it was a coil burner plug, and the fan motor in the microwave. Made a perfect pumpkin pie and banana cake in it this week. Also we still use the microwave on a regular basis.
It's nice to hear about old appliances doing more than chilling brewskies for the likes of the Enterprise-D's night crew. Anyone who is concerned about reducing their carbon footprint can either use older, well-built stuff, or just try not to step in any carbon.

I got my 1984 Kenmore (Sanyo) microwave/convection oven over four years ago. It gets daily use, mostly for heating up hot drinks. I got it for a fiver from a thrift store, the only thing "wrong" with it being two missing feet. I have since installed a whole new set that I got from Mouser.

I found an old Camco-built GE compact clothes dryer by a dumpster back in June. It wasn't anything special really, the top was banged up, it had a little rust here and there but worst of all the bearings were shot in its welded-together motor. I decided to sacrifice that one to convert its shell into a 16U mobile equipment rack. It isn't finished yet but it's usable as-is.