View Single Post
Old 05-07-2018, 08:25 PM
VideoKarma Member

I've been to a number of MAARC radio meets & have both bought & sold at the auctions. (It's been quite long time since I actually attended the auction, though). Typically, the room is stuffed to overflowing with sets & more being brought in right up to the last minute. The last time I went I think there were enough things being sold that everyone in attendance could have taken at least 3-4 things home, maybe a lot more. Who was the audience in those chairs? 1) Sellers. 2) Bystanders with nothing else to do that afternoon but watch. 3) Folks who haven't bought a set in a decade because they already have more than they want, but they might just bid on the right "quality" piece if it strikes them just right. 4) Bargain hunters. 5) Serious bidders, ready to spend thousands. Re-read what Tim wrote: "The problem was that there were not enough people and people with big vans in the parking lot to handle all of the stuff coming up for bid."

Now, on the radio side there is a very serious glut, and it's sad to watch. It's a lot better on the TV side but, still, there are only so many folks bidding. I'd really like to do another ETF convention (I think the one I did was '04) but 2 full days on the road is a bit of a commitment. If I still had my big old van I really think I'd have done it this year. Thing is, that van would have brought still more to sell, with the intention of bringing back very little. I would say, with my 20/20 hindsight, that I'd have driven up the price of that CTC-100 by at least a couple hundred dollars!