View Single Post
Old 05-19-2018, 03:08 PM
M is for Memory

There should be polarity on the new cap unless you bought unpolarized (but those are not common over 50V rated). If you connected the cap backward the first time then it probably shorted instantly on power up and correcting the polarity after that would not have helped...Once a cap shorts it is dead. You only get one chance to connect a lytic with the correct polarity before power up, before destroying your new replacement...Worse yet if you connect a lytic backwards it can explode and possibly cause injury...Measure twice cut once (ie make sure it is right before power up even if you have to ask us).

Where are you sourcing your caps? You should be going with a legitimate online vendor of NEW capacitors. Places like Mouser, Digikey, Allied, Justradios, Capacitor World, etc are where you want to buy from...Brick and mortar shops who's stocks can languish years to decades, and used parts places like surplus stores are bad sources...Electrolytic caps have a shelf life shorter than their rated life...Lytics need to have voltage applied to them regularly or they go bad...I've personally bought dead caps from Radio Shack and surplus places in the past, but I had a quality capacitor tester at my disposal to realize it and not use those parts.

Electronics are not magic, and while I can appreciate faith, it will not keep the original caps or bad quality replacements going for long.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4