View Single Post
Old 05-28-2012, 01:07 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed in Tx View Post
I'd bet I saw 100 JVCs for every 1 Sharp that came through the shop, and we were authorized service for both brands. I am sure JVC sold many more VCRs than Sharp, too. '80s JVCs? They went through several revisions and new mechanisms and they all had their issues. Used to see several later '80s JVCs a week with the brass guide posts on the bottom of the tape entry and exit guides fallen out loose inside the machine. Mode switches were a problem. Bad grounds on the deck terminal board, power supply problems.. kept me busy.
Thanks for the write-up. So, is he right the whole time stating that Sharp was more reliable than JVC, based on what you described? JVC decks look and operate better than Sharp to me, but I guess smoother operations sometimes mean more trouble.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed in Tx View Post
Used to see several later '80s JVCs a week with the brass guide posts on the bottom of the tape entry and exit guides fallen out loose inside the machine. Mode switches were a problem. Bad grounds on the deck terminal board, power supply problems.. kept me busy.
Yes, that's the JVC MBK-45 and MBK-78 chassis that Studio Sound Electronics like to call, produced from 1989 to 1994. He also agree that it's an unreliable chassis. There's also a problem with the gear pulley in the middle of the capstan motor flywheel cracking and falling off for the ones used a polystyrene nylon teeth belt. They also used switching power supplies that frequently failed, and a surface-mount cap issue on the video drum motor board that made pictures look half-snowy.

Some people like to rename JVC as the "Junkie Video Company," based on how many defective units JVC put out there.