View Single Post
Old 09-27-2015, 04:43 PM
VideoKarma Member

I think I can take the title for youngest enthusiast here (I'm 16). My oldest set now is from 1981, but I really do want some tube stuff. What draws me to vintage televisions is that they were so special to the people that owned them. These were people who survived the depression, and spending $1000s of dollars in today's money on them. They were so well built, and taken care of for that matter. The kids I go to school with are all so spoiled, and have to have the latest gadgets. I actually heard one child at lunch telling his friends how he was going to "accidentally" drop his year old Iphone in a sewer drain so his parents would buy him the newest one. Back to televisions - It is magical to me to walk to the front of a big wooden box to click a knob, and hearing it warm up, make noises, and suddenly throw thousands of tiny dots onto a piece of glass. Today, you press a button on a remote, and a flat black rectangle on the wall instantly shows harsh, too bright images. The sounds are different too. Tube audio is so warm, friendly, and inviting, I could listen to it for hours. Flat screen's sound is so dull and irritating. The old sets themselves are better, better made, better sounding, the colors are warm and pleasant. The same goes for vinyl records, they sound so good and alive compared to flat, boring MP3 files. They have more emotion, it gets in your bones. I don't have memories of walking into TV dealerships, or having the 1st color set, but the TVs carry nostalgia. They make me have those memories. It's an entirely different world these days, and I don't like it. I'm severely jealous of all of you guys who were around back then. My whole life has been, and will be, dedicated to keeping that lost old world alive. The clothes I wear, the things I own, the car I drive, the music I listen to, and the way I talk. I see all these dogtanking hipsters who destroy and deface old tvs and console stereos, and it makes me furious. I know I'm certainly a minority in my age group, if not the only one. I want to get all of these things, tvs and stereos and such, to save them from those people. I don't currently own a set too old, but I'm certainly trying. I don't know a thing about electronics, but I'll certainly learn so I can keep these things alive.
Audiokarma