View Single Post
Old 10-18-2016, 10:02 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_fixer View Post
Hello All! Sat. at the local GW i spy a console stereo out of the corner of my eye. It is branded Penncrest, it is a tube model, with 11 tubes on one chassis, My curiosity is up so i go home and try to find out more info about it with Google. It is a model 662fm-a and the only pic of it is from a SAMS Photofact manual for sale on the -bay. evidently this is the only that has survived or it is a piece of junk no one thought worth the time to snap a pic and upload it to the web.
A few strange things i have noticed about it are, audio output uses 1 7686 pentode in singled ended operation per channel. It uses a straight line magic eye tube for tuning like European and McIntosh Tuners. thirdly this stereo uses a outboard demultiplexer for FM stereo "missing or never installed in this unit". Anyone have one of these or know who made it for JCP? Or if it is worth picking up? The price is $50 today and $25 next Sun.
Thanks all, Logan
I tried looking up the output tube number and that number doesn't come up as an output tube. It could be a 5686 or???
It's possibly built by Symphonic or another east coast maker.
It could be similar to the Bradford that used a single ELL80 dual output tube.