View Single Post
Old 01-27-2017, 06:17 PM
VideoKarma Member

[QUOTE=Findm-Keepm;3177393]It didn't cost me one tenth of that. You called the Sprague a "Caddilac" of testers - I guess my Sencore is just a Buick... I'm cheap, hence my building of my own SCR250 clone.

"Some say the Spragues' are the Cadillacs' of analog bench analyzers" is my quote based on what a quy has to say on a page I found dedicated to vintage cap testers. He doesen't get into stuff like you have mentioned except I do think he has something about a certain Sencore. I know that the Sencores are very nice and $very$ sought after. Just look at what they go for on Praybay and the amount of bidders.

When I read about your unit that seemed to do things I haven't even thought about, I Googled it and the first thing I saw was like $1,800 in an ad. And again, to each his own, but what I saw (and I may have looked it up wrong) looked like one of these modern overkill instruments with 30 small buttons with 40 functions each. Just not my cup of tea. Same as these digital o-scopes. Some have some really neat functions that my old Techtronix analog scope doesn't have, but for ease of use to view a waveform within vintage equipment, I'll keep mine & the money.

You mentioned pulse charge/discharge characteristics, Simpson once made and attempt at doing something with that back in the 50s I think. I believe the name was CapacOmeter, but may be wrong. They come up for sale here and there and supposedly did quite a job when working, but a little investigation told me that they were a bull to try to revamp and it seems like I read that they stopped making them partly at least as people were getting injured messing with them. Don't quote me on this, but it was an interesting read.