View Single Post
Old 05-10-2011, 06:09 PM
Tube bug got me 05/2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by vts1134 View Post
"
Forgive my new guy ignorance but I don't know how to do that. I know how to check continuity with a meter but I'm not sure where you're suggesting I check. Could you elaborate on that some more for me?
Certainly - I had to start somewhere too, so I know how it feels But, we're always happy to explain if you don't understand. I suspect the terminology we throw around doesn't help either...

If you look at the back end of the picture tube itself, you have the end that is wired up to the rest of the set, where the guns are. Moving forward towards the wider [bell] area of the CRT, you may encounter some rings with a bunch of tabs on them [purity magnets]. You won't need to touch those at this point. Further towards the bell, around the part where the tube begins to widen, will be a cone-shaped form [the deflection assembly, AKA the yoke]. This contains the coils of wire that the set uses to move the beam of electrons within the tube. One pair of coils is for the horizontal deflection of the beam, the other pair is for the vertical deflection.

(from the picture in the first post, yours appears to be boxed in in that metal cage that rises up from the main chassis).

Essentially what you want to do is find where those are wired to the rest of the set, and use those points to test each of the vertical coils in the deflection assembly for continuity. If it's closed in, you can't tell which leads go to which coils, so you'll have to go by the schematic. I don't have one on hand, so perhaps another member can tell you exactly where they are. You should be able to locate them by wires running to the vicinity of the vertical components just mentioned (R3, R4, V13, V14).

If you get an open reading on one of them, then there's a break in that coil, and you've found your problem. If not, then the problem is somewhere else... and hopefully it is, because coils aren't exactly easy or fun to repair.

Apologies for the wall of text, but it'll have been worth it if you learned something, and my job will be complete for today

Quote:
Originally Posted by vts1134 View Post
Wow! You guys are so helpful here it's hard to believe. Please don't go that overboard for me yet. Let me do some due diligence of my own before we get to that point.
It's what we do here. Everyone was really helpful while I was restoring my Fleetwood console, and some people go above and beyond to help you. I guess we are dedicated to preserving these sets too much...

Last edited by VintagePC; 05-10-2011 at 06:18 PM.