View Single Post
Old 11-01-2020, 10:19 PM
<----Zenith C845

Quote:
Originally Posted by TUD1 View Post
I went all the way up to Chattanooga, TN to get this Zenith roundie at an estate sale. I got it for $40, but it is an extremely high hour set. It has a 1971 RCA Hi-Lite tube, and many replacement tubes. No remote either. And as you can see, it is covered in 1/4 inch of fluffy dust. It will be getting the full spa treatment.
You have a good set there. Zenith TVs were always good, in my experience; the chassis were hand wired (no PC boards). The power transformers in most, if not all, Zenith TVs of the '50s-'60s all had fins on either side, so they ran cooler than many if not most other sets. I once had a Zenith K-2739 b&w 23" console with such a transformer; it served me well for quite a while, until I had to move in 1972. I hated like anything to have to get rid of that set (it was a trash find with no tubes except the CRT and HV rectifier), as I had retubed it and had done a lot of other work on it; then, a year or so later, I found out I would have to move and couldn't take the set with me. I hated to do it, but my circumstances at the time were such that I had no choice (long story and OT).

As I said, you have a good TV there, one that will serve you well once you get it working. Zenith TVs, radios, stereo gear, etc. were great; it was a shame the company went out of business and moved to Korea when it did.

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.