View Single Post
Old 03-07-2017, 02:32 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
Welcome to VK!

I have almost that EXACT Zenith and an identical Silvertone roundy (plus a second similar earlier Silvertone roundy). My Zenith is a 12B13C52 chassis (may be covered in the same sam's) in the same cabinet (which was called the Boyden BTW). That Zenith can be a real work horse...Mine has been my main TV for 8 years (of heavy service), and aside from small occasional maintenance (focus divider, tubes, a couple of vert stage caps, the H out tube socket) it took the kind of workload that would age an SS TV. I'm currently trying to figure out an HV issue that brought it down a few weeks back.

Is the service switch on the back in the "normal" position? If not flip it there. Get a NOS vertical output tube and vert osc. tube (IIRC they are separate tubes in this chassis), there are a couple of lytics in the vertical that are suspect. When I get home I can post up a picture of the vertical section of the sam's provided my sam's covers that chassis, if not I believe I should have a Zenith issued print of that set's schematic (I have a fairly complete collection of Zenith color TV service lit). Would you like a set of legs for it? It was originally a legged console, and I happen to have a spare set of legs.

BTW: best way to work on the under chassis is to flip the set on it's side (make sure at least 2 of the 4 chassis mount screws with the nickel sized washers are installed first) and remove the bottom metal panel.
thanks the schematic would be painfully helpful to me - then i can try to make sense of what I'm looking at, i have the legs i just took them off - two had been broken off when it was brought in by some poor handling... i have no idea what position is service and normal but in both positions it behaves the same way

i'm glad they're so reliable - i was wanting a good daily driver and the roundie thought neat has a bad flyback from a loose tube cap causing it to overheat - and it has a cataract that makes it hard to watch when it is working but im definitely not brave enough to tackle that - id never fine another one