View Single Post
Old 11-28-2016, 02:55 PM
M is for Memory

Well after being annoyed by lack of a source for a correct rubber fuel filler hose and by every replacement filler having a backwards bracket I finally came up with a solution. The hose I cleaned with Goof-Off...I had to use it to melt the rubber inside the hose to remove all the rust that had fused to it from the old metal filler neck...I checked more carefully and discovered the filler neck bracket will fit backwards or forwards, and was able to get that fitted. Fingers crossed that it don't leak.

After running around looking for a replacement plastic fitting for the one that the previous owners used to kludge the air ride back to life, and getting lots of blank stares and replies of 'try this place', and attempting to duplicate it with a bunch of brass fittings, I finally got fed up and super-glued the snapped off piece of the old plastic fitting back together. After reinstalling it the GMC is holding air like a champ. Using me knee as a yard stick the rear suspension has not noticeably dropped in the ~2 days I was keeping track since my fix. For now I'll get by occasionally toping off the suspention with a 12V air pump I've got. I've found a factory correct pump for half the price I initially saw, so come spring I may try installing one of those. I wish the Chilton's had some info on the air ride beyond the procedure for changing the darn air springs....(they must think the air springs are inflated by pixies ) I have no way to know if the pump failed or it's control circuits failed without a wiring diagram...

All was good till I tried to do the rear brakes....I should have let the wheel being VERY stuck to the hub stop me, but I managed to get it loose with penetrating oil and a lot of force.
The rotor was grooved and junky, despite lots of pad left, due to a stuck slider....The slider broke off upon trying to unscrew it, so I needed to replace the caliper bracket it's stub is stuck in....That seems to be stuck on too though. One of the bolts that holds the bracket on did not want to loosen up EVER...By the time it was half way out the head was round beyond any hope of grip. After getting it sorta back together I realized I might be able to grind flats onto it. So at this point if I can't/don't do that then I think it is time to take it to a repair shop...Only problem is that I'm broke this week.

At least it should not snow this week so I can keep using the Lincoln...

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4

Last edited by Electronic M; 11-28-2016 at 04:28 PM.