View Single Post
Old 01-11-2017, 06:37 PM
VideoKarma Member

RCA SFT100 CED player

About once every few years I seem to pick up one of these in hopes of having a working unit - and they never work - and I always seem to eventually give up on fixing them…

Well, I got another one. This WAS a nice unit with the original owners manual - but it was banged up in shipping. But then, I really don't mind gluing some of the plastic on the bottom back together - if I can get it working…

At first it wouldn't load a disc - some parts were stuck (the spindle? that goes through the center of the disc wouldn't go down). But now I got it so it will load the disc and spin it.

But, it won't output anything but a blank black picture and no sound. I noticed the needle? wasn't actually touching the disc. I don't know if this is because it is supposed to go further down, or the platter? the disc sits on needs to go further up. I tried manually doing both, neither had an effect. Also, the controls seem to do nothing at all, except for 'pause' which produces a 'p' on the display. Otherwise, it displays '--' all the time.

I'm suspicious that this is caused by some bad impossible to find IC and I'm looking at yet another unit I'm never going to get working. Or maybe not!?

Last edited by Adam; 01-11-2017 at 07:27 PM.