View Single Post
Old 03-14-2013, 06:24 PM
David Thomas

Most vintage appliances were built pretty well. For instance, I manage an apartment property that was built in 1972, and we have several apartments with their original GE electric ranges. My mother is still using the 40" range that she bought in 1968, and she has a refrigerator in the garage that my grandparents bought in the early 50's.

In the 80's, appliance manufacturers started really cutting costs. Refrigerator interiors and washing machine tubs went from coated steel to plastic. Whirlpool (once second only to Maytag in washing machine quality) was one of the first major companies to switch to direct drive, thus spelling an end to long-life washing machines.

These days most home appliances are pretty much disposable. The market and the manufacturers have changed so much since I left that business in 1998. Mergers and consolodation have left GE and Whirlpool as the last two American full-line appliance makers. Take washing machines for instance, Whirlpool machines can be bought under the names of Whirlpool, Estate, Roper, KitchenAid, Crosley, Magic Chef, Norge, Admiral, Maytag, Amana, and even some Kenmore models.

Last year I had to finally give in and replace my washing machine. Since Maytag is now just a Whirlpool with the Maytag name plate attached (along with a $ increase), I decided to call a friend of mine in the repair business and ask his opinion. He said to buy the cheapest model I could find that had the features I had to have.....and when it fails to simply throw it out and replace it. He said there was not a washing machine on the market today that would be likely to last past the 8 to 10 year mark. He advised me not to spend more $$ thinking it would equate to better quality any more.

The cheapest quality home appliances from 30 years ago are built better than just about anything you can buy these days (with the exception of a few high-end luxury brands).