View Single Post
Old 02-19-2017, 12:31 PM
Followin' the Rules...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed in Tx View Post
"Most" except for the phototransistor start and end sensors and DC-DC converters (either the discrete components or the DC-DC converter module version depending on model) that failed left and right. Kept technicians in work. I made a lot of money fixin' those back in the day.
Saw a lot of bad end sensors (PT23, PT23L, etc) on Sharp, Toshiba and JVC decks - the display DC-DC converters on the Hitachis and VLT2XX RCA/Hitachis, bad power supply diodes on the Panny (VRXXX) RCAs, and lots of sun gears on the JVCs. This on top of heads, belts, idlers, LB1649 load motor chips, and the mode switches on the cheapo stuff (XR1000, Memorex, Realistic...).

I made about $100 a month while deployed just replacing Fisher belts and idler tires - the ship's store sold Fisher VCRs (FVHXXX) exclusively in the mid-80s, and by 1989, the rubber belts in those VCRs were tired. I bought 20 Sanyo/Fisher belt kits in October, and by Christmas I was reordering - no small feat when you are in the Eastern Mediterranean, 8 days separated by mail...."Peter Pan" with Mary Martin was my test tape......
"Capacitor Cosmetologist since '79"

When fuses go to work, they quit!