View Single Post
Old 01-11-2015, 05:35 PM
VideoKarma Member

New Antenna, Dump the Earth Ground

Old Coot: There is infinite resistance between 1stRF grid lug and chassis ground (With no connection of grid lug to anything).

I replaced the old (magnet wire) indoor antenna with 50 feet of 14 gauge, 7-strand copper "antenna wire." It works better, and I am no longer connecting the antenna to earth ground for reception. So this is a bit of a restart which will simplify things for me.

1. In "normal" configuration, I get very weak audio at maximum volume on two or three strong stations.

2. With antenna to 1st RF grid, as below, I get slightly better audio output from the strongest stations.

3. With antenna to 2nd RF grid, as below, I get loud audio from many stations.

I've also pulled the grid resistor and the RF transformer to examine them out of the circuit, and I can't find anything wrong with them. I played with the signal tracer, but all I could do was pick up audio.

Question: With the diagram below, I still read "short" between stator and rotor. I see no physical connection of the stator with chassis ground. Is this short to be expected--is enough current conducted between rotor & stator plates to show resistance of only 4 ohms?