View Single Post
Old 01-11-2015, 08:29 PM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winky Dink View Post
Confused. The set is not in operation. 1st RF tube grid lug has been disconnected from the coupling transformer. Tube is pulled. Those are the only electrical connections to the lug. It's mounted on Bakelite and has no electrical connection. The DMM show infinite resistance between the lug and ground. There is no conductive path. What am I missing?
NOTHING! That is how it should be. One of YOUR earlier posts indicated that the test you just described gave you a resistance reading that was less than infinity...So I was telling you readings less than infinity in that situation are bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winky Dink View Post
The statement about tuning capacitor is also confusing to me. It shouldn't show DC resistance--but if it's shorted it's bad? I'm missing something here as well.
Help?
By should not show resistance, I mean there should be INFINITE resistance (so high you can't measure it) between the side of that capacitor that is connected to the RF transformer and ground in the circuit shown below.
TO BE DOUBLE CLEAR IF THERE IS A SHORT OR A RESISTANCE LOWER THAN INFINITY THEN SOMETHING IS WRONG.

I usually use the term 'no resistance' to mean an open circuit....I guess I should use 'no measurable resistance' next time to make it more clear. If you don't know yet that a capacitor is supposed to have infinite resistance between it's terminals (unless something is wired in parallel with the capacitor), then you REALLY need to brush up on the basics.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4