View Single Post
Old 07-22-2012, 06:14 PM
VideoKarma Member

Busted?

Hiya guys, I'm neo, and new. Seems like you guys know a lot about VFDs and the workings of one. I have a VFD from my bike which has no display at all. Initially, I though it was a broken solder point (now fixed) which wasn't driving power to it. However, after some dismantling and getting to the display it self, I *think* the display is busted. Seems like there's "burn marks" inside the display.
Not sure if that's the case, so, need some help verifying it.

From what I can gather after poking a multimeter at it, the VFD is getting power, it even makes this.. well, kinda discharging sound when the ignition is turned on. None of the solder points seem broken, cracked or otherwise unusable. On the PCB I see test points labelled 5v, Anode & GND. Probing with the tester reveals that there's no breaks in the circuitry. So, I'm guessing it's the tube. The two "burn marks" on the left of the tube in the picture is what's got me pretty sure.. well, sure as one can get anyway.

Appreciate if you guys could help me confirm this. If it's busted, I'm pretty sure there's no way to fix it short of replacing the tube itself... So, yeah.. anything you guys got.. And thanks