View Single Post
Old 10-02-2015, 11:11 PM
Followin' the Rules...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon A. View Post
Super, thanks. Funny, I always thought electrolytics went bad faster if unused.
A common misconception - folks see the "shelf life" rating on a data sheet, note that it is shorter than the "endurance" (service) rating, and make the assumption. Hint: the shelf life is specified for storage at either 85 or 105 degrees Celcius, not room temperature (25 degrees C). NOBODY stores caps at either temp (185 degrees and 215 degrees Fahrenheit!!). The US DoD specifies storage at less than 35 degrees Celcius (95 degrees F) - big difference, and shelf life is magnitudes greater at the lower temps, as would be expected.

Over on DIYAudio, the threads are hilarious with the folks that can't/won't read a datasheet for capacitors or transistors. Most just don't want to admit they didn't know what they were looking at.

One thing I was always thankful for was an explanation of all the transistor parameters before learning the applications... Hie, Hfe, Hoe, VCeo, VCbo and others - all important, especially on the mid-terms exams.

I learned most of my theory through various schools and bench experience in the 80s, but in 1995, I bought a copy of "The Art of Electronics" - best all-in-one theory and application text I've found. Not light reading, but a good way to have some "A-ha!" moments when things are explained clearly. Cool fact: I sold a service manual for a Transistor Analyzer to one of the authors (Horowitz) back in 2010.

I found the gouge for checking the SG-608 and SG-613's with an ohmmeter - they are in a couple of Sony Bulletins. I'll scan them this weekend when I get a chance. I may also make up a matrix that lists early Sony color sets by model and what HOT they use - the SCSs (SG-613, SG-608s) or transistors (2SC1316/2SC1034, etc.). That would go a long way for folks looking at potential Sony sets to save. Me, no problem with the SG-613 sets - I used to own two, and have some spares, except for the 2SC1034s. The best spares for Sonys are still some 4.7uF 250V caps.....and solder (for the later 80s sets with the bad IF solder connections).

Cheers,
"Capacitor Cosmetologist since '79"

When fuses go to work, they quit!