Thread: Wavetek 183
View Single Post
Old 02-17-2012, 10:11 PM
Followin' the Rules...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandersen View Post
Yikes! Thanks for the warning. I do have a copy of the user's manual which has instructions on it's use and calibration. It also has a schematic and parts list.
I think there's a 183 service manual too. If you happen to come across a copy, I'd be interested.
Wavetek only published a user manual for the 183 - you already have all that was published. They blended just about everything into one manual. For some instruments (microprocessor based) they also published a signature manual (digital bus states for various functions/setting) but for most of their analog stuff, just the one manual. I once had an 8' shelf full of Wavetek paper manuals, but I cashed out in the early 2000's when eBay manual sales were free of the PDF/CD manuals. Now, most are digitized, and I have a few preliminary paper manuals, and a paper manual for all but two of my primary test equipment items.

My eBay manual sales were a great time - got to meet some interesting people, and even sold an HP manual via eBay to a guy that lives a few doors down from us. One of my sales was to the VP of Disney's Imagineering Division at the time. It was almost like hob-nobbing with royalty!

One other Wavetek recommendation - stay away from their 3000 series Sig Gens - pure crap. They are modular, and hard to keep from developing gaps in output frequencies, probably due to PLL locking/unlocking. We (sadly) had them in the Navy, but pressed the HP 8640's into double duty to avoid having to use them. We'd tell the cal lab to do a lick-and-stick calibration, so to avoid having them waste their time repairing/calibrating them. Real pains, they are. Before Wavetek came out with their 25XX series sig gens, the going mantra was to avoid all the 4 digit model stuff - the three digit stuff was good stuff. I've got a 183 (sans knobs), a 184 ($5 at Goodwill bulk buy), and two broke 2002's (one just about gutted, and the other with a spray painted face (to "de-mil" it). I've also got a small stash of Wavetek pots, mostly PC mount duals, for what, I dunno.

Cheers,
"Capacitor Cosmetologist since '79"

When fuses go to work, they quit!